I have stopped pretending to be normal and have
focused on learning how to regulate my nervous system, for this is one of the
best things you can do for yourself if you have autism. One of the things
I found that helped me to calm down was stuffed animals. Stuffed animals were
one of my childhood and aspie obsessions that I had given up in order to be
more grown up and normal.
I have always loved stuffed animals and
preferred them over dolls as a child, for I did not like the realistic looking
eyes that dolls have. People with autism have trouble making eye contact with
other people, so making eye contact with a china doll for me was extremely
painful while stuffed animals did not have the same effect. Stuffed animals are
also my autistic obsession and I collect and make them. Now every autistic
person has their own obsessions, for it’s a part of us having narrow interests.
Most of the aspies I've meant often have an obsession that
includes collecting something and mine are no exception. People with
autism will often carry their obsessions from childhood into adulthood and tend
to be more childlike, for their emotions are often more immature because
emotional maturity tends to develop slower in people with autism. However,
the child-likeness that people with autism have is often what makes
them charming and gives them a different way of looking at things. I still
love to make my stuffed animals fight with each other, have tea parties with
them, and I also take them on trips with me. It’s childlike, I know, but it’s a
part of who I am.
I had loads of stuffed animals growing up and
used to play for hours on end with them. My first stuffed animal was a small
bear, shaped like a baby doll, with small, beady, brown eyes named Huggy Bear.
Huggy Bear was basically my first real friend, for I took him everywhere with
me. I now give my stuffed animals more complex names and personalities now that
I am an adult. As a child I wished I could make my own stuffed animals and once
I started knitting and sewing in my later teen years I was able to. The first
stuffed animal I ever knitted was named Dot.
I have been knitting since I was fourteen years
old and took to it right away. People with autism are often good with
memorizing patterns and symbols and can find them soothing to memorize and
learn. Knitting has all of that, so I found it very easy and relaxing to do.
I’ve made all sorts of things, but one day I picked up a book entitled The Big
Book of Knitted Monsters by Rebecca Danger and fell in love with one
of the Monsters in the book named Dot. I decided to make Dot, so I got out my
knitting needles and some pink and purple yarn and set out to knit her. I
knitted her in the course of about four days, while attending college too, and
enjoyed every minute of it. She was perfect and I had fallen in love with her.
She was so adorable with her pink body and her purple ears and eye patch
and she soon became a constant figure at my side. I would buckle her in with a
seat belt in my car, answer the door and with her while wearing my leopard
pajamas and purple turban, and take her in my purse to math class. I have a
whole collection of knitted Monsters and sock animals now, but Dot was really
special because I had always wanted to make my own stuffed animals and toys and
it wasn’t until my late teens that I possessed the coordination needed to make
them.
People with autism often lack physical
coordination and it often takes them longer to become coordinated. I am quite
klutzy and have terrible depth perception and it used to be so bad when I was a
kid that I would run into things and knock things over a lot. I had trouble
with fine motor skills such as handwriting and believe it or not I was a
terrible seamstress as a child. I could not get my stitches even and I would
stick myself with the needle every other stitch. I am just happy that my
parents worked hard with me to help me be more coordinated and that I can now
make, at age twenty-one, the stuffed animals I love. Also, I have always been
obsessed with books and reading even though I could not read until I was eleven
years old.
I cannot remember in a time in my life when
books were not a large part of it. My parents both were not read to as
children, so when they had me they decided to read to me as much as possible,
so that I would take a interest in reading. My mother used to take me to garage
sales and resale shops when I was just two years old to buy books and then we
would come home, snuggle on the couch, and read them. We read also sorts of
children’s books until I decided that they were too immature for me. Children
with autism are often intellectually advanced for their age and find things
that are age appropriate boring and not challenging. My father started reading Sherlock
Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to me when I was around six years old
and I soaked it up. I loved the plot twists and trying to figure out the
mystery before Holmes did. I also loved to hear my father read to me for he had
a wonderful expressive reading voice that made the story come alive. He
would make 20,000 Leagues Under the sea, The Lord of the
Rings, Little Woman, and Journey to the Center of the
Earth come to life and I would bounce and spin all over the living
room, where we would often settle down and read in the evening, from the sheer
pleasure of hearing him read.
I, however, could not read to myself the books
that my intellect so desired because I have a learning disability called
dyslexia. Dyslexia occurs when the brain does not properly process and
recognize symbols. As a child I was homeschooled, so my parents were my
teachers. My parents tried teaching me to read at a young age, but it just felt
like I had a blockage on my brain that would not allow me to understand printed
text. I remember being so frustrated that I could not read a book above a
second grade level, for I really long to read books such as the Hobbit on
my own. My parents just thought I needed more time and more instruction,
so my dad bought a homeschool curriculum titled Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons this quickly turned into “ Teach
Your Child to Read in 100 Angry Lessons.” We would sit on the couch
with that book and I would try and read the stories from it, but I could barely
read any of it. My Dad when I would get frustrated would just tell me, “Try and
concentrate harder and you will be able to do it,” What
he didn't understand was that I was dyslexia no amount of concentration
was going to make it better. So we would continue doing 100 Angry Lessons until I believe my father gave
up because of the meltdowns I would have afterwards. I also got awful headaches
after 100 Angry Lessons because of reading and this was because of my Irlen Syndrome.
I did
find books on tapes and CD’s very helpful and listened to the books I couldn't
read because obviously my parents could not read to me as much I myself wanted
too. I remember listening to the Hobbit nine times on book on tape and
I even knew some of the lines by heart. I remember lying on my bed and
listening to the different books play on cassette tape on my father’s old,
grey, BoomBox, that he used to blast other sailors out with on the submarine he
was on, and I would just drift into the story and I would feel as if I was in
it. Books on cassette allowed me to enjoy the books that I could not read and
made me feel a little better about not being able to read, for at least I had
heard so many great stories and multiple times too.
I got diagnosed with dyslexia and Irlen Syndrome
when I was eleven years old. Irlen Syndrome is a perceptual processing disorder
that causes sensitivity to light, perceptual distortions, depth perception
issues, and headaches among other things. To treat Irlen Syndrome they use
special colored lens to correct your perception of light and colored over lays
to help correct distortion associated with printed text. Irlen Syndrome often
accompanies both autism and dyslexia. After I got diagnosed and received tutoring,
my lens, and overlay I was able at the end of my tutoring to read at a ninth
grade reading level and I had only received one year of tutoring. I was finally
able to read the books I loved by myself and this is when my obsession with
libraries and bookstores really started to grow.
I love libraries and bookstores and find them to
be safe heavens. I find books comforting because they are like good friends
that never judge you and are always there when you need them. I collect classic
and some postmodern literature and I am always searching for the next book in
my collection. My penchant for classic literature started when I was little for
my parents would pick out books to read to me from a literature guide.
Also, because of my aspergers syndrome I often get obsessed with a
certain literature gene or author and then I must have all of the books
pertaining to that author or gene. As a child I would often go to Borders
bookstore and spend hours looking at the book covers and feeling the different
papers the pages were printed on. I would sit down in the middle of the
children’s aisle in Borders bookstore and pick through the books examining and
touching each one carefully. When I could finally read on my own I would find a
spot and sit down and read the text and bask in the aroma of each book as I
read it. I like printed books because of the paper! I’m not quite sure why I
love paper so much but I love the way it feels and smells. I enjoy the way
different papers feel as I run my finger tips across them because each one
feels unique. Books, also, all smell different to me, but they can smell the
same if they are from the same publisher because they tend to use the same type
of glue on all of them whether they are paperback or hardcover. I love vintage
books, as well, and the musty smell they have. Also, they used different paper
fifty years ago and I find the papers intriguing to feel and look at because
they are often less smooth and more rough then the paper in the books today. I
am hopelessly in love with books.
No comments:
Post a Comment