Like many aspies I hate loud noises and get over-stimulated by them.
So, as one can imagine American's Independence Day and I have never quite got
along. As a child I would run away from some of the fireworks because of the
horrible high-pitched whistling sounds they made. I remember some of them even
pushing me to the point of melting down and then my parents and I would have to
leave so I could go home and calm down.
Yesterday was the 4th of July and it was
one of the best I have had. We had a small gathering of friends at my parent’s
house and sat in the front yard and watched fireworks. I have been learning
copping strategies to help with the loud noises I hate. I wore headphones over
my ears so I could watch the fireworks, for I really do like the pretty colors
they make just not the noises. I, however, had to run inside my house when my
brother lit off a firecracker, for these still sound like a car bomb going off
in a war zone. I hate firecrackers and suggest if you have an autistic person
living with you or who is your friend to not light they off at all, but
brothers will be brothers.
So, what can you do to help your autistic
through the 4th of July festivities? First and foremost, do not take your
autistic to a large gathering, for this is a perfect recipe for
over-stimulation and meltdown. If you are a parent/partner I know what you are
thinking, "But Miriam, I got invited to such and such gathering and we
really want to go?" Well...I am sorry dear parent/partner "IT IS NOT
ABOUT YOU" in this situation if you want to avoid putting you autistic in
a tail spin it is important to always think twice before going to a large
gathering with them. If your partner or older child is ok with staying home by
themselves by all means go to the get together, but do not drag them along and
expect them to be alright at the end of the evening. Autistic people are
already going to have trouble with the noises from people lighting off fireworks and subjecting them to the
large amount of noise that is a part of a gathering beforehand just
spells disaster and frustration for the both of you.
Firework induced meltdowns and be
prevented with ear protection such as head phones or ear plugs. I find that the
above mentioned work for most fireworks expect firecrackers.
Well...I hope you found these tips helpful
and I hope they can help you have a better 4th of July next year! What other tips might you have for the 4th of July madness?
Miriam
Miriam
No comments:
Post a Comment